In our “Culture in the Future” topic @guillefix introduced us to the EISHEC, an institute that could play an important part in the Fractal Cosmos universe.
I think that this idea has a lot of potential and we should definitly use it. So, we need to decide which role this institute would play in the future of the solar system.
I have a few ideas:
- The EISHEC is be founded in the early 2040s by a group of idealistic scientists philosophers an entrepreneurs.
- It starts as a small but relatively well funded NGO based on Canada (I chose Canada because it will be a relatively neutral country in the second cold war, which means that the institute could remain mostly independent from geopolitical blocs if it was based there).
- After the end of the Cyber War, when most AI’s become unemployed, the EISHEC gives work in scientific research projects.
- Many of these research projects are successfull resulting in signifficant scientific and technological advances for humanity.
- This leads to an increase of public support towards the institute, which becomes quite wealthy as a result.
- The EISHEC helps creating the first AI colonies in the solar system. While the X Bloc and the C Bloc are busy trying to colonize Venus and Mars, the institute turns to Mercury and the Asteroid Belt, where it establishes large mining facilities.
- These colonization ventures are highly successfull and the institute starts receiving large amounts of precious materials from the AI’s mining colonies.
- In the late 2060s, the EISHEC establishes the first colonies in the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.
- Some of these colonies are AI-only, while others are human-only and others are populated by both groups.
- The colonies soon become independent states, but the institute still has a lot of influence over them. Some say that the EISHEC has as much power over over that region of the solar system as the Catholic Curch had over medieval Europe.
- In the 2080s (or maybe in the 2090s), the institute help founding the first colonies in the moons of Uranus and Neptune.
- Being so distant from Earth, these colonies can’t be controlled by the EISHEC board as well as the jovian and saturnian colonies. Eventually, a powerfull p-faction emerges in the regions, claiming that the institute has deviated from it’s fundamental principles, choosing to become an imperialist political entity.
- This p-faction grows quickly, ending up winning the support of most uranian and neptunian states. This turn of events is similar to the protestant reformation.
This how I imagine things might happen. Now, we still need to decide what this institute will be like. I think its philosophy should be based on the ideas guillefix presented in the “Culture in the Future” topic.
It’s hard to know exactly what will be popular, but I have a personal philosophy that emerged from the premature experiences of these coming developments (from movies, etc.). I call it the Principle of Inclusiveness. And simply stated, it says that Truth is what emerges from trying to understand as much of reality as possible. Thus the way to truth is simply the seeking of experiencing and experimenting as much as possible. This would obviously be most suitable for advanced minds like AIs who would scour the Universe for information, in search of Everything.
So, the principal of Inclusiveness could be the EISHEC’s central meme, What else can we add?
I would like this institute to be surrounded by an aura of mysticism, enventually becoming a quasi-religious movement, while still retaining it’s inquisitive scientiffic nature. We could incorporate elements of techno-shamanism and stuff like that.
Anyway, I’ve already talked enough, what do you guys think?