Random Shop

Some background: I’ve been enrolled in a full stack developer “bootcamp” for the last 3 months. For the first two months I’ve been busy with learning Java. The last 4 weeks I upgraded my JavaScript skills:

• In the first week I’ve improved my Fractal Generator that I used to create the F3 logo.
  • The next two weeks I’ve made a random text generator that generates a small random “language” from which random words (with adjustable probabilities / weights) are then picked.
  • During the last 8 days I’ve programmed the Random Shop as a project, which I wanted to show here

Here are some of its features:

• Randomly generated products with random category-dependent prices
  • Random numbers and codes interspersed into the random product names
  • Randomly generated category colors
  • Random product descriptions
  • Random product images generated by and loaded from the Deep AI text to image API.
  • Infinite scrolling: New random products are generated once the user scrolls to the bottom of the page
  • A shopping cart as extendable sidebar attached to the bottom of the main page
  • A wish list as extendable sidebar attached to the top of the main page
  • A settings bar with filter and sort options (and the option to generate a completely new random shop) as extendable sidebar attached to the left of the main page
  • Product cards can be dragged and dropped between the shop, the cart, and the wish list
  • Buttons to add products to cart or wish list directly or increase the amount of that product therein
  • Individual product amount control within cart and wish list via buttons and a number input field
  • Indicators for total product amount and total price in cart and wish list
  • Product detail page with randomly generated sentences and (pseudo “SEO optimized”) paragraphs for randomly generated product features
  • Randomly generated product reviews by randomly generated users with random avatars pulled from the site “This Person Does Not Exist”.
  • Randomly generated product ratings from 0 to 5 stars.
  • Randomly interspersed (upper cased) expletives in product review texts dependent on product rating
  • Dedicated product reviews page
  • Dedicated cart page
  • Dedicated wish list page
  • Payment page with a table that displays the random tax and price information
  • The words on the payment page are translated into “randomese” with a dictionary that is created along with the random language
  • Randomly generated TOS (intentionally absurdly long)
  • Semi-persistent data storage via the local storage of the browser. Settings and sidebar positions are saved along with the random language, the random products, and the contents of cart and wish list
  • No use of any cookies
  • Project made with vanilla JavaScript from scratch. No dependency on any external JavaScript libraries whatsoever. No Angular, no React, no Vue, no jQuery, no Node.js, no lodash, …

1 Like

Cool. I think we should work together on a software project to make some money. I don’t know JavaScript, but @ZeUs is working on some trading stuff with JS.

Come to Manchester, UK, in November? We’ll give you a soundproof box to sleep in, and we can make some money from low hanging fruit, then go from there…

Making money is not the best motivation for making software. I can do that with lots of other people, too.

That sounds potentially interesting. Is there any particular new angle to that?

That could be interpreted as a threat. This makes me feel like it’s better to have a large distance between you and me.

1 Like

That was totally unfair, dishonest, irrational, etc.
You cut up my sentence to make it look like I want to bury you!
Please try to communicate rationally and leave out your silly emotions!
I want to harness you, not kill you! I have nothing to gain from killing/hurting you…

And no, it’s not a ‘threat’ to harness you. It’s an offer.
People work best when they enjoy being harnessed.
<3

My intention was to point out that your phrasing was prone to being misunderstood. It’s bad to keep phrases like that uncommented.

That is another phrase that’s quite suboptimal. You make it sound like you see me as a resource that’s supposed to be exploited. That usually indicates a serious lack of respect.

This kind of communication usually causes more problems than it solves. Not choosing one’s words carefully with regard to their effects on third parties isn’t very rational.

You claim that I’ve been emotional, while you sound like you are hurt by my criticism that was supposed to simply point out the dangers of your phrasing.

Anyway, I don’t see the point in accepting your offer, especially since I don’t see a good value proposition in it. Also, the way you communicate indicates a high probability of serious PR incidents. If you are serious about your offers, you might want to get help with the PR / communication aspect of your endeavour.

i dont speak to everyone in the same way.
I thought you knew me well enough to understand.
(and we talked about living in the boxes before)
PR? why should we care what the public thinks?
If someone thinks I’m scary, i guess they have … issiues… anyway, that’s … look, smart people can figure out im welli-ntensioned and harmless.

I don’t sound like im hurt! that would make no sense!

Thankyou for helping (by pointing out dangers)

What would be a good value prop?
(i suspect you subconsciously want to be alone , so you’ll always find excuses not to join a tribe)

didn’t Paul Erdos have serious PR incidents? + RMS

Thankyou for helping me. I respect you. (seriously)
exploited would mean you dont gain fairly.
Exploited? no. for the greater good. each according to her needs. i we gaia.

oh i choose my words very carefully!
it’s not like i just get shitfaced and then type a bunch without deep consideratoin

all the cool people are fine with neurodivergents, right?
they know we are different and forgive our weaknesses
RIGHT?
cuz we 're good at math and shit

most of the people that think im bad for PR all wear suit and ties. go figure

i mean look at Richard Stallman. Talk about bad PR!
which wououd you rather have, GNU or …?

Talking to me in private and addressing me on a public forum are two different things. In public discussions the context may be missing, which can make certain statements quite misleading. Communicating as if that didn’t matter might make us look insane.

Because the public is potentially the strongest force in the world and you don’t want to have to fight it, unless you have an overwhelmingly good reason for doing so. Also, it’s usually not your choice whether you have to fight the public. It’s the public that decides, and the forces which influence the public.

Don’t give potential opposing forces ammunition they can use against you unless you know exactly what you are doing.

How exactly? You might be someone who merely claims being well-intentioned. The smarter you are, the better could your cover be.

Solid financing, appropriate payment, good leadership, value alignment, mission alignment, strategy alignment, skills, experience, entrepreneurial ability, rationality, good PR, …

The point is not whether someone is neurodivergent, but rather whether critical flaws of a person are likely to pose a serious threat, and whether such threats can be handled effectively. Having a coder with Tourette syndrome can be handled, but having such a person representing an organization might be too dangerous.

Why should I care about that?

The general public is mostly stupid and lazy, and it doesn’t matter what they think. They can’t hinder us much. The people I want to attract are the crazy genius people that will make our startup rich.

You might be someone who merely claims being well-intentioned. The smarter you are, the better could your cover be.

geeze. principle of charity. Give me the benefit of doubt unless you see evidence…

Solid financing, appropriate payment, good leadership, value alignment, mission alignment, strategy alignment, skills, experience, entrepreneurial ability, rationality, good PR, …

OK, yeah, but that’s a lot of work. As it stands we have almost nothing. I’m saying to get all that work done we should first be together IRL, cos that’s a more efficient way to work.

The point is not whether someone is neurodivergent, but rather whether critical flaws of a person are likely to pose a serious threat, and whether such threats can be handled effectively.

come ON. You know I’m not a ‘threat’! I’m not even that bad. Look at that guy that made templeOS. Imagine working with him!

Why should I care about that ?

cuz suits are our enemy. theyre brainwashed and blindly follow tradition, etc. So dont listen to them.

Or John McAfee. He was a PR nightmare, didn’t stop him from getting rich.

(Do you know why he drank so much?
Do you think they murdered him?
That suicide note is very sus…)

What would be your reply to the statement: “You are mostly stupid and lazy, and it doesn’t matter what you think”?

Denied. I am critical and assume that people are corrupt and egotistic liars until proven otherwise.

If you really want to convince me, you need to do much better than that!

What would be your reply to the statement: “You are mostly stupid and lazy, and it doesn’t matter what you think”?

It’s obviously not true. If you believe that it’s true, you’re probably wasting your time talking to me.
I care about making the world a better place.

Denied. I am critical and assume that people are corrupt and egotistic liars until proven otherwise.

1 Like