What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Im trying to write an RPG profile about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific.It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

• A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

• Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

• Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

• A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

-Any improvements on the hyperdrive

-Limb regeneration

-Hyperspace nullifier

-Holodeck

• Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)

-Philosophers Stone

-Kinetic weapons

-Solar sail

-Anything to do with kyber crystals

-Gene editing

-Mech suit

-Exosuit

-Gender change

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

2 Likes

what about a meta-user-generator to coordinate the various incarnations of a beeing in the alternative universes of the multiversum through time and space for the apotheosis of this beeing?
hopefully this beeing will be Ellill. :rofl:
be kind or the basilic will eat you :stuck_out_tongue:

Something that makes droids better, or cheaper. Droids are cool, and not used enough in Star Wars. AI is generally much underused in almost all of sci-fi.

in my timeline i met my former self - remember the einstein-rosen-podolski-paradoxon.
spukhafte fernwirkung (albert einstein)

Star Wars isn’t science fiction to me, it’s an high fantasy and adventure story set in space like Dune, more akin to Indiana Jones and LOTR than Star Trek.

I have readen dozens of novels and comicbooks from the Star Wars universe. How its technological level is portrayed is illogical at best.

Like Radivis mentioned, droids are underused. Star Wars has droids who think and act like people, so why does money even play a role anymore since they should have taken all jobs long ago? In AOTC Obi-Wan mentioned that “if droids could think, we wouldn’t sit here” (implying droids are philosophical zombies) while also C-3PO complains about pain when he was dismantled (that means he has subjective experiences).

During the Battles of Ruusan 1000 years before the films the soldiers of the Republic and Sith Empire fought with swords and bows. As did the Rakata who subjugated the galaxy 30 millenia ago. That’s totally bonkers, why do civilisations with faster-than-light spaceships fight with spears and bows?

2 Likes

I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.

What do you need your RPG profile for, exactly? Where do you play that RPG? Perhaps some context would help people find more fitting ideas.

It’s my own RPG game I’m creating for myself. It’s also a written piece.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Are there any particular themes of your RPG game? What other games could you compare it to?

GURPS and Traveller.

Ok, thanks for that info. I don’t really get your restriction on not working on game-changing technology. If you only aim for RPG campaigns and not a persistent world in which players act globally, developing game changing technologies could be quite fun.

If you want to have some inspiration from worlds in which tech development is relatively stagnant, you could seek it in the Warhammer 40k Lore. Warhammer has some pretty fun stuff.

No I’ll take game-changers now. I’m getting desperate. Just as long as it’s not on my no-list.

may be it is more satisfying to kill some dudes with a spear than to desintegrate a complete stellar system by pushing a button?

I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.

we all do this :wink:

That is what Kyle Katarn did with the Suncrusher, a small spaceship the size of a fighter jet which can make a star explode. A bit overpowered and absurd, even for a space fantasy pulp story, is it? :wink:

In the old Expanded Universe which I am a fan of, the Galactic Empire did not immediately surrender after the Battle of Endor but continued to fight for over a decade. During this time it developed a lot of superweapons after Deathstar One and Two. The aforementioned Suncrusher, the Galaxy Gun, Darksabre, Eclipse I & II, and the Kryota Virus come to my mind. Likely this was because 1st those novels and comicbooks are from the edgy 1990s and 2nd the original trilogy had two films about superweapons, so when two thirds of the source material were about superweapons, the writers may have gotten ideas…