What is the Fractal Cosmos Project?
The Fractal Cosmos Project, originally called "Fractal Future Project", is a science fiction collective worldbuilding project started by the community of Fractal Future Forum, then known as Social Future Forum. Our main goal is to synthesize a great variety of mind-bending realistic ideas into a detailed and believable vision of the near to mid-term future.
The project deals with futuristic themes such as transhumanism, space colonization and the advancement of science and technology in general, aiming to portray them in an interesting and convincing manner.
The fictional universe portrayed in Fractal Cosmos is a mainly optimistic one, but it shall never be panglossian. The world will become a better place thanks to the advancement of science and technology, but we will never reach utopia and horrible things will always happen.
Why is the cosmos fractal?
Many science fiction writers, especially the optimistic ones, seem to assume that humanity will unite and converge in the future, uniting all nations and colonizing the stars as a species.
In Fractal Cosmos project, we set off the opposite premise. We assume that humanity will not converge but diverge. Political power will become more decentralized, ideologies and religions will diversify and, most importantly, technology will give birth to new and exotic offshots of our species.
There won't be only one but many "humanities" and "being human" will acquire a whole new meaning.
A new fractal world is on the rise and we need your help to create it.
What are our objectives?
Each one of us as his personal reasons to be a part of this project, but, as a collective, we can state that our objectives are:
- Promoting Fractal Future Forum and the discussion of future-related themes;
- Promoting transhumanism and futurism without being exceedingly militant;
- Providing escapism and entertainment to sci-fi fans and curious people all around the world.
- Inspiring other works in the genre of speculative fiction;
- Inspiring people to dedicate themselves to advancement of science, technology and society as a whole;
- Having lots of fun
What can you do to help?
The best thing you can do to help the Fractal Cosmos Project is joining us. We have a huge project on our hands and we need all the help we can get.
So, what do you need to do? Firstly, you must join Fractal Future Forum. Introducing yourself right after would be really nice. Than, you can contribute in any one or several of the following ways:
- You can give new ideas to be incorporated in our project;
- You can comment on other people's ideas and make them better;
- You can help writing our wiki articles;
- You can help us with our image and promotion;
- You can write a story or make any other type of artistic work set in our universe.
Make sure you read our guidelines for developers before you start.
Guidelines for developers
- When discussing ideas related to the project be always polite and respect other people's opinions;
- If you and your developer colleagues can't agree on a certain issue, that issue must be resolved democratically. If you are not happy with outcome you can start an Associated Universe;
- Do some research before you propose or discuss any speculative science fiction ideas. It's important that you use all the imagination you've got, but this universe must be realistic;
- Keep in mind that this universe can never be totally utopian or dystopian. Things will get better, but not perfect;
- Remember that science and technology interact with society in mutually transformative ways. Nothing is without implications and you can't analyze any issue separately;
- Try to make Fractal Cosmos interesting and fun while still respecting all this guidelines.
Associated Universes: what are they?
When many different people work together on a single unitary project divergences always come out. No matter how much we will try to debate, each one of us will always want to do things a little differently on a certain point.
In order to prevent editorial wars from ruining our project, we decided to introduce the concept of Associated Universe.
Associated Universes are individual versions of the Fractal Cosmos universe created by single developers who want give their own personal touch to the ideas of all of us.
You are free to create as many AUs as you want at any time you like, but, if you really want our project to succeed, you should give priority to the development of our main shared universe.
What makes this project special
There are not many projects like Fractal Cosmos, most sci-fi artists prefer to develop their universes individually, so that make something that is entirely their own. Here, we take a different approach, we believe that by synthesizing ideas from many different people we can create a much more interesting, diverse, and detailed universe.
We are not the first project to take this approach, but we are certainly one of the very few.
But that's not why you should join us. The strengh of a sci-fi project is not in the way it operates, but in the ideas that lie behind it. So, shortly speaking, you should join us if you want to help creating a universe where:
- A second cold war emerges between a capitalist/centralist bolc, lead by the USA, Russia and China, and a decentralized progressive bloc lead by Brazil and the Nordic countries.
- Cyberwarfare leads to the creation of powerful Artificial Intelligences who soon become unemployed and discriminated for being different from humans but, nevertheless, still flousrish.
- Designer babies and cybernetic augmentation become commonplace, radically transforming the human race.
- DIY biology is embraced by a significant part of the population, bringing some really bright and some really dark possibilities to humanity.
- Space is colonized by both, humans and AI's in robot bodies, and new extraterrestrial nations and cultures soon emerge.
- Venus becomes divided between two divergent cultures: an utopian civilization of augmented organic humans who inhabit the cloud-tops in large flying habitats, and a loose group of hive minds with highly resistant robot bodies who inhabit the hell-like surface of the planet.
- Anything else you want can happen.
That's what makes us special and that's why you should join us.
We are counting on your help