I’ve recently presented my idea for a “Future Base” in the following thead:
It would basically be a place where people would work together to develop futuristic technologies, that should ideally be open source. You could describe is as future themed mixture of a quite experimental hackerspace, a university, a start-up cluster, and perhaps other things. Perhaps equally importantly it would be 100% compatible with the ideas and ideals of transhumanism and emphasizes mental and physical health and improvement. The question is: How should such a Future Base really look like?
Let’s consider my initial proposal, that is based on an initial budget of 24000€ per month, but let’s not focus on the financial aspects too much.
- It should have a place where I can live, whether alone or with people I like, because what’s cooler than living in a Future Base?
- There should be office space and basic infrastructure for futuristic start-ups that work on awesome projects
- Beautiful nature in close proximity, which must include forests, because forests are especially uplifting for my mood
- A laboratory for mad scientists, muahahahaha! Ideally multiple labs for different purposes!
- A place for makers that has seriously advanced 3d printers (those are pretty expensive, so that’s quite a large investment)
- At least one dedicated conference/meeting/seminar/presentation/discussion/filming/party room where we can discuss plans for world awesomification and other stuff
- A general purpose community room to which people can bring and do their own random or futuristic stuff
- A community kitchen
- A community garden for hydroponically grown open source GMO plants or something like that
- Toilets and showers until someone comes up with more futuristic alternatives for those.
- A playground for kids of any age (from 0 to infinity)
- A torture chamber, also known as gym
- A room for (power) naps and meditation
- An open stable and a sufficiently large pasture for herbivores (which won’t be eaten – they are there for therapeutic purposes, and potentially for uplifting experiments later on)
- A dedicated outdoor area for doing crazy recreational stuff (of course I mean sports with that, but calling it “dedicated crazy recreational stuff area” might make people more creative, so that they use it in unexpected ways)
- Lots of storage space for all the stuff that is needed and will accumulate
- Perhaps a small hospital room for biohacking and treating people, if something goes wrong (which is not too unlikely in such a place)
- Optionally a small hotel for guests, members, and tourists
- Optionally apartments for those who want to live within or in close proximity to the Future Base
- Optionally a sauna (perhaps of the near infrared type), because what’s better than seeing all kinds of nerds naked while doing something really healthy? (just to clear this up from the start: That was meant slightly ironic, but I think a sauna would still be a good idea)
- Optionally a place for swimming, whether that’s a swimming pool, or a lake.
- Perhaps later on a small nuclear reactor, because paying electricity bills shouldn’t be a necessity – instead the Future Base could even sell energy
- And of course a launch platform for rockets and/or space planes … well, just kidding, even though that would certainly appear futuristic
I have probably forgotten lots of cool or necessary stuff. The Future Base should be children-, animal-, and female-friendly. Especially the last point needs to be emphasized, because there are way too few females in the futurist/transhumanist community, and I don’t want to make it even worse in the Future Base. Synergy effect of being children-friendly: The Future Base will train the next generation of innovative futurists, simply by letting them watch what the adults do there.
The space and nature requirements of the Future Base suggests that it needs to be located in a relatively rural area. That’s not ideal from a travel and commuting perspective, but that’s a price that people should be ready to pay. Self-driving cars will make travel and commuting less annoying.
How would that space be run? Mostly self organised, like a Teal organisation, see
Bringing a small group of highly innovative people together and letting them do what they want – as long as it’s in alignment with the mission and spirit of the Future Base – and giving them the means to do so, can lead to extraordinary results. And it’s really the mission and spirit that would make the difference. The goal is nothing less than changing the world to the better by developing new ideas and technologies that solve important problems in order to share them with the world as freely as practically possible. Having people who can deeply identify with such a purpose together in one place should create a large amount of cross-pollination and may encourage trans-disciplinary thinking.
Couldn’t a university/research centre like the MIT, or a company like Google do the same? Well, yes, and indeed they have such effects, at least partially. It’s just that they don’t address the most important problems that we need to solve to reach a transhuman future, or don’t that in the best way. Of course, doing it better than those organisations would be an incredible challenge, but the attempt would be worth it.
What do you think about this idea?