a semi-comedey article about economics, pretending you can describe economics without humans.
a futurist and enemy of the basic income. his argument is, that you will be so dependend on the state with an UBI, instead of being a slave of the companys you will be a slave of the state.
this scenario is also described in one of the black mirror episodes.
i think it is a possible scenario, but not a necessary one.
as i mentioned this paper here
discusses which taxes should be raised to ensure healthcare for the US. a similiar analysis could help us installing a UBI
Evolution is not about a constant life and death race. About the importance of cooperation for survival and evolution not only in a single species.
Five “heresies” proposed by Kevin Kelly:
- Intelligence is not a single dimension, so “smarter than humans” is a meaningless concept.
- Humans do not have general purpose minds, and neither will AIs.
- Emulation of human thinking in other media will be constrained by cost.
- Dimensions of intelligence are not infinite.
- Intelligences are only one factor in progress.
- You can easily introcuce a multidimensional scale, just as you can compute the distance between 2 vectors and their direction. Sure, multiple scales are possible and the scale might not tell you what you actually want to know.
- If humans dont have a general purpuse mind, why should then AIs need one to function?
- Might be true
- Might be true, too complex of a topic
- Might be true.
All in all a technological singularity in form of a grey goo wont be stopped by this arguments.
Its basically about the kind of technological singularity we hope to hit.
This article is now quite a few weeks old, but it’s one of the most important and interesting articles on the Wait But Why blog. Reading time: Several hours, if you aren’t a particularly fast reader.
hope you dont mind a video. Pharmalobby vs Pharmaopponents. Will Self Talk, a pretty known journalists.
seems bitcoin has quite an impact on ecology.
Local economics with decentralized peer to peer models may replace platform capitalism:
Bitcoin is consuming 0,13% of worlds energy, and its demand on energy is quickly increasing!
against transhuman believe, that the solution is a technical one. I think the article has a point.
I think its obvious, that it isnt really a lack of knowledge but a lack of political will to use the knowledge we already have.
Mental contrasting and implementation intentions beat positive thinking:
Software is too error prone. Some relatively esoteric methods and approaches could offer a solution.
So, model based engineering and TLA+ to the rescue? Maybe not a bad idea, but what about deep learning? The machine intelligence of the future will be taught, not coded. That’s a can of worms that’s almost too deep to consider. But we human beings are like that, too. There’s no tool that will check whether we will always work according to certain specifications, because we really don’t. Creating systems that are robust to failure of subsystems is the only sustainable way to go in the long run.