Are flying drone taxis the future?

I found the following article quite interesting because it combines various trends: This fully autonomous drone taxi is your traffic-jam dream come true

• Quadcopters
  • Self-driving cars
  • On demand services ordered via mobile apps

Shouldn’t it be obvious that by combining these really amazing technologies we could get something absolutely transformative?

Perhaps not. The general idea looks great, but it might fail for various reasons:

• We aren’t all flying helicopters, because
  • That would be totally expensive
  • And loud
  • And flying them requires a lot of training (well, at least this point can be fixed by making them self-driving)
  • Regulation will probably intervene and make the first 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 efforts to implement something like that on a large scale impossible.
  • Ground based vehicles would still have significant advantages in the area of energy-efficiency (however, this hasn’t stopped planes from actually taking off!)

So, what do you think? Will we all be using self-flying drone taxis in 2030 or sooner or later?

I think we’ll certainly have self-driving cars in the near future (2025-2030 sounds realistic) but I’m not sure if they will ever get to fly. The commercial incentives may not be enough for that.