I found the following article quite interesting because it combines various trends: This fully autonomous drone taxi is your traffic-jam dream come true
- Self-driving cars
- On demand services ordered via mobile apps
Shouldn’t it be obvious that by combining these really amazing technologies we could get something absolutely transformative?
Perhaps not. The general idea looks great, but it might fail for various reasons:
- We aren’t all flying helicopters, because
- That would be totally expensive
- And loud
- And flying them requires a lot of training (well, at least this point can be fixed by making them self-driving)
- Regulation will probably intervene and make the first 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 efforts to implement something like that on a large scale impossible.
- Ground based vehicles would still have significant advantages in the area of energy-efficiency (however, this hasn’t stopped planes from actually taking off!)
So, what do you think? Will we all be using self-flying drone taxis in 2030 or sooner or later?