A new book/neue buch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Germans-Do-Better-Grown-up/dp/1786499754/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=JIR15KSJ0KTN&dchild=1&keywords=why+the+germans+do+it+better&qid=1600076531&sprefix=why+the+germans,aps,214&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=twitter0a5c-21&linkId=f2c6521807b24ca97a8de16881fb9870&language=en_GB&fbclid=IwAR2EUwlTKvpYftooiQlZod7b0IjtSpwgjeLgVN1woA7dz-mXi-Zeejh59UA New book by British journalist John Kampfner. Hmm… :thinking:

So? What do you think is the point of this new book? Would it be worth reading for our forum members?

Yes it would be as it’s a British journalist’s account of Germany, what it’s doing right, calls it a grown up country and that could be of interest to transhumanist politics there as the ingredients for you to become a transhumanist powerhouse could be present.

2 Likes

Nazis.

Sorry, who are Nazis?

2 Likes

If you want to contribute to the discussion, please use at least complete sentences.
If you want to attack a topic with your criticism, please use sources and /or arguments. Otherwise i will consider posts like this as spam or worse and i will act accordingly.
Do you want to scare people away from talking about certain topics (you don´t like?) or what is the purpose of your comment?

1 Like

That’s fairly optimistic. In many regards Germany is quite backwards. Technoskepticism seems to be quite dominant here. It takes a lot of convincing to make Germany adopt new technologies. I’m almost surprised that there isn’t much backlash against RNA vaccines for example.

Germany could be a strong base for tech development, but the general mindset is too conservative for that. Europe in general needs to reinvent itself, otherwise it will become a backwater continent. A home for retirees and refugees, but not much more than that.

I see the lack of willingness to try out radical experiments that could give Europe an edge over the rest of the world.

Idomenio, I am officially giving you a warning due to repeated spamming. This is the first strike. With three strikes you will face serious moderation related consequences.

I haven’t read the book. Maybe your political culture enables things to be discussed more seriously. As well as the virus, the following years for Britain and her neighbours will be disruptive because of what’s going on with Britain leaving the European Union.

1 Like

The future of Europe worries me. In retrospect, I think the Brexit was an important signal to the EU that it needs to reform itself. The project of its heavy handed authoritarianism to transform itself into something like the United States of Europe created too much resentment among the population.

Anyway, I think alliances will be the key to the role of Europe. It has relied too much on its ties with the US. Instead, it should focus on making good deals with Russia, and maybe Africa. A strong united Europe with Russia and parts of Africa as close friends could constitute a power that stands on equal footing with the US or China.

I don’t want Europe to be torn apart during the Sinoamerican Cold War, as I call the current situation.

1 Like

Well, Britain will be irrelevant and Germany will be a leader in this united Europe.

https://www.voanews.com/europe/boris-johnsons-pro-eu-column-published-first-time What our current Prime Minister wrote in his pro-Remain column and what he admitted in another column:

It is also true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe.”