23andMe DNA testing and analysis

Has anyone used 23andMe to test and analyse their DNA? If so, how’d it go? I’m waiting on my kit to arrive.

1 Like

Interesting question. It made me curious and Wikipedia enlightened me quite quickly:

In 2013 the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ordered 23andMe to discontinue marketing its personal genome service (PGS) as the company had not obtained the legally required regulatory approval resulting in concerns about the potential consequences of customers receiving inaccurate health results.[3] The company continued to sell a personal genome test without health-related results in the United States until October 21, 2015, when it announced that it would be including a revised health component with FDA approval.[4][5] 23andMe has been selling a product with both ancestry and health-related components in Canada since October 2014,[6][7][8] and in the United Kingdom since December 2014.[9]

It’s good to see that this innovative company survived the regulatory onslaught.

Personally, I think gene therapies should have become mainstream by now, but they are still pretty much a tiny niche thing. What went wrong with progress? I don’t see too much value in knowing the errors in my DNA when I can’t actually fix them. :confused:

1 Like

I’m mainly interested in my bipolarism. Recent research suggests there may be four genes associated with affective disorders, so I’m interested in checking them out. Also, of course, there may be markers that ‘predict’ future illnesses that I could something about, with the technology available today. And - it’ll be fun :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve been considering ordering a kit. Exploring my own DNA sounds like a really interesting thing to do.

1 Like

I’ll let you know how it goes :slightly_smiling:

1 Like