Communication channel overload

There are just too many different online platforms, too many blogs, too many Facebook groups, too many forums, too many communication applications to keep tabs on. It’s ok once certain platforms are in your daily or weekly routine, but otherwise it’s easy to lose the ball and then you get out of touch with certain people. And that’s horrible, because there are so many interesting projects and people out there, but it’s hard to stay in touch with all of them. It’s only party because of the technological fragmentation, the other part is that it’s actually a problem of limited attention. You can only be in touch with a small number of things or people. Everything else just gets dropped, until it’s perhaps picked up again at an unspecified time in the future.

There has to be a better way for dealing with this issue. I’d very much embrace a technological solution that kinda aggregated all kinds of online communication platforms into one single customizable user interface. That interface would be the primary gateway to online communities. I’d like to call it Aggregator Gateway for that reason. It would collect all interesting blog posts, Facebook posts, forum posts, Tweets, mails, chat messages, and so on in a way that would be easily navigable.

There are of course partial solutions like using email as gateway by subscribing to newsletters and mailing lists. That still works relatively nicely. And this Discourse forum actually supports that kind of technology.
And then there’s RSS and Atom feeds, which kinda work for the bloggosphere, but somehow failed to become an obvious aggregation standard for everything.
Also, there’s this cool XMPP / Jabber protocol for instant messaging and related stuff, but that also failed to become a universal standard for everything web related.

It would be nice, if there was a single standard that all websites respected and used to communicate with aggregators – programs that collect all news and relevant communication across the part of the web that you subscribed to. But when you deal with Standards, you have the following problem explained in the XKCD webcomic number 927:

Could this situation be avoided? Maybe. With a user-centric approach websites wouldn’t need to adhere to uniform standards. Instead, user would use customized programs, which I call fetchers, that go out to certain websites and communication channels and fetch everything that is new. They would work like the web crawlers / spiders / robots used by search engines to scan the web for changes, but instead of working for search engines they would work for human users and fetch new content in order to integrate it into the Aggregator Gateway. That approach might cause a lot of traffic, but it would be much less dependent on universal acceptance of standards.

It’s of course possible to program fetchers on your own, but the usual internet user doesn’t have the skills required to do that. So, they would depend on used pre-made fetchers that work for some sites, but not for others. It would probably involve a lot of trial and error and a huge collection of different fetchers. Finally, websites would use standardized interfaces to make it easier for fetchers to get the newest stuff without causing unmanageable loads of traffic. Well, if they were open about allowing those kinds of bots to access their websites in that way. Facebook would probably try to block them in any way possible, because it wants humans to see the ads on that platform!

Anyway, communication channel overload is a problem that I suffer from right now, and it’s probably not getting any better in the next few years. Consolidation of different platforms would be good, if those platforms were open like Discourse, and not closed like Facebook. In fact, I’d love to have the Fractal Future Blog and the Fractal Future Wiki be integrated features of the Fractal Future Forum, rather than independent platforms, because otherwise they just contribute to the overall overload. There’s some hope that Discourse will be really suited for that purpose, since it’s a platform that is still being actively developed and improved.

Still, even if some communities consolidated all their channels into a single one like Discourse, there would still be the problem that there are different communities, which all required to log into their own version of Discourse. Theoretically this could be solved by creating some kind of meta-forum (perhaps called Discoursium) that integrated all forums in a user-defined and navigable way. Or you could simply rely on intelligent filtering of email digests, if nothing else works.

In any case, filtering is a huge problem, because there is so much stuff that people can be interested in, but scanning everything that one subscribes to at some point becomes impossible, because one simply will run out of time! This actually happened to me when I used RSS feeds. I didn’t know how to filter them effectively, so at some point I simply gave up on RSS. There’s so much I want to archive, but out of that huge amount of data I’m usually only interested in a tiny fraction of the most interesting stuff. Finding that among all the noise is difficult, and it’s becoming ever more difficult as the amount of interesting stuff published on the web is on the rise.

In the end, different individuals, organizations, and their websites compete for the attention of people. This is a fact of reality. It will never be resolved, because even when we manage to increase our capacity to process information, the sheer amount of information produced will probably increase even faster than that! And so we somehow need to deal with the situation that billions of things call for our attention, and in turn, we sometimes want the attention of billions of people (preferably the right kind of people, of course).

So, this creates a situation in which people and communication channels compete for attention. The art of drawing in attention is usually called marketing. It’s of course easy to dismiss marketing as noisy and unethical, but it’s increasingly becoming a real necessity to be able to market your stuff, even if you don’t actually want to sell anything, but just want to spread ideas, free digital goods, or want more members in an communication channel! Really good marketing looks natural and authentic. It works because it resonates with the needs of people. The best kind of marketing is viral. It turns ordinary users into evangelists and marketers who spread the world and engage others to interact with the viral thing.

This tells us something about the things that become viral: People don’t just like them, they love them so much that they want to tell everyone about them! So, having an extremely high quality product in the first place is an integral part of effective and viral marketing! This opens up the next question: What is quality? In the context of marketing it’s of course perceived quality. People must see a product as being absolutely worthwhile in order to tell others about it. Whether it conforms to formal quality standards is secondary.

Perceived quality and resonance with subjective needs are the key factors that guide attention. It’s important to be aware of that, no matter what role find yourself in: As product designer, marketer, or consumer.

What has this insight to do with the topic of communication channel overload? It explains how users adopt different communication channels. People adopt those channels that provide the highest perceived quality and resonance with subjective needs. Channels which fail at that simply won’t be adopted.

And this requires from us to understand human needs as perfectly as possible. There are of course different theoretical frameworks for that. But the most important point is really starting to think about needs – the needs of others and your own needs – and how they can match up.

Let’s start on a high level of abstraction. What do people want? People want to solve problems!

So, perhaps the right angle is to ask what problems a product or a communication channel or any kind of communication element is supposed to solve. Awareness of this question provides better orientation. And it makes it easier to decide which communication channels to adopt, and which ones to drop.

What problems brought you to this place? And how could it be made better at solving them?

1 Like

Yeah. I’m working on something that I think/hope can solve these problems. What we have now is a long way from what I think we should/could have. Of course, the thing I want (probably very similar to what you’re talking about) is not trivial to implement, (so I won’t be surprised if I fail, and it may take a long time for it to grow into something that has even the minimum basic features to make it worth bothering to use). Anyway.

The main ideas are:

1. The web/webbrowsers/html/css/javascript is all horrible, so I won’t use it or build on top of it.

2. Use smalltalk for everything. OS is smalltalk. Client-/-server are in smalltalk. Scripting language is smalltalk. So people only need to know one language to do everything. (Alan Kay also chose to use smalltalk for his attempt to re-invent the web/internet). Of course this means people will have to download and run software to use it, which makes it harder to get people to try it, but oh well. If it’s good enough, I dont think that will hurt adoption too much.

A) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_Project

B) http://worrydream.com/refs/Smith%20-%20Croquet%20-%20A%20Collaboration%20System%20Architecture.pdf

C) http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?OpenCroquet

D) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFHHHccqmRM

3 . It must be peer-to-peer.

4 . And yeah, it means I’ll be adding yet another thing that people have to use, but the long term goal is for it to be able to replace ALL the other things. If people use it, but they still say ‘I have to run this other thing as well cos your thing can’t do X’, then I will consider the project either unfinished or (if it’s not planning to add that feature ever), a failure. So long term goal, all the stuff you do now will be possible with one ‘account’/Public Key, and in one language (with turtles all the way down (There are even Smalltalk Machines (Like Lisp Machines but for Smalltalk))).

I guess the next big step for this project is to demo something with very basic functionality, and maybe get more people to add stuff to it and experiment with use cases and the direction it should go in. I hope to do this within a matter of weeks.

In the meantime you can start learning smalltalk here: http://pharobyexample.org

(Worth doing even if my project never materialises (I suck/am a luser, etc), cos Smalltalk is one of the ‘classics’ that every programmer should know a bit about (The others being: Lisp, ML (learn Haskell or OCaml), C, J, and…?))

And what I want first is some kindof p2p cross between Gmail / mail lists / discourse / media wiki / doku wiki / etherpad / git / IRC / MOO / MMORPG.

(but I’m happy with 2Ds I don’t care about 3D)

With the ability for end user to control/script everything about how they see the text/info/data. e.g. I get to say which colour and font and where/how stuff is placed.

And everything is p2p (so i can share/host stuff while my machine is offline) and I get to control what and how everything is pushed to my node and how I’m alerted to changes etc.

With nice GUI stuff for change sets / diffs and organising / searching / displaying structure of everything.

And with reputations for users (all the QP stuff).

And strong encryption / security (but that’s not a priority)

2 Likes

Sounds like a very worthwhile long-term project.

The problem that I see with that is that it could go the way of Google Wave. It might be an awesome platform, but if not enough people join in, it will have failed its larger mission. Most people don’t want complicated tools that can do everything. They want absolutely simplicity. Ideally something like email, but even simpler.

What could really work is an AI system that dumbs everything down, so that even a stupid five year old caveman can easily interact with it.

I am having a similar issue with information. I agree on the approaches both of you have laid out. I have many sites send me and email and use that as my dashboard. We do need a better interface. I should not need to click and open a site to read the entire comment/article or reply. I use a Google Alert to bring me information about a few topics. It is either like a spider or doing the same search every day and giving me the new results. Considering the wide variety of sites and standards I propose a simple approach. Use an AI extension for the browser with some storage in the cloud. Then train it by just surfing as usual. Maybe some commands available on right click to emphasize important things or change settings. Over time it would learn which emails I open and which I skim or open every link. From the things I actually read or bookmark it can learn the kind of information I want. I think this could be fairly lightweight an easy to implement as that it is self taught. I nominate Googles’ Tensorflow for the AI and me to get it going. I am just now learning, so any help would be good.

1 Like

Cool, that sounds like an actually workable and useful solution! I think the idea is good enough for be shared more widely. Have you done that already?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Idea Implementation Services